The history of Wormit Boating Club
Wormit Boating Club was formed in 1911 as a rowing club and had a large club-house under the Tay rail bridge. Throughout the 1920s and 1930s club teams took part in all the local regattas, with frequent success. In the mid 1970s, WBC moved to Woodhaven Pier, which had been used by 333 Squadron of the Royal Norwegian Air Force as a flying base for their Catalina Flying Boats. We still maintain close links with the squadron to this day and the present day squadron visit usually once a year.
Over the years sailing became the main club activity with coastal rowing in St Ayles skiffs being introduced in 2014.
Some of our trophies still reflect our rowing beginnings.
More information can be viewed on this link to the Newport History Group website: https://www.newportontayhistory.org.uk/leisure/wormit-boating-club-club